Saturday, January 21, 2012

Annual Ski Trip to Winterplace, WV

We have an annual tradition of visiting Winterplace Ski Resort in West Virginia for a day of skiing.  the school calender usually works out for my son and a friend to leave on a Thursday evening and ski, crowd free, the following Friday.  Last years weather provided snow during the night prior to our ski day and the slopes were near perfect.   This year has been warmer, but the night are cold enough for the snow machines to cover most of the resort with the white stuff.  The conditions this year were great!   We arrived early enough to be among the first to make our tracks on the freshly groomed trails.  I have learned that my legs handle the crunchy, powder area much better than the frozen packed down areas. A few years ago the temps were so cold that the trails were iced over in many areas and maneuvering was tricky and required extra effort to remain upright. This years weather provided temps in the 40's and overcast skies.   I felt comfortable enough to velcro an iphone to my jacket to capture a video while skiing down a couple of trails.

 

We had very few mishaps and I was brave enough to try some more difficult trails with success.  I look forward to another trip back.

Winterplace Ski Resort
















 

No comments:

Post a Comment