Saturday, March 3, 2012

My return to the game of golf.

Several years ago I played the game of golf as much as I could, but not frequent enough to become a great player.  I continued because I enjoyed the game and love being outdoors.  Other commitments pulled me away from the courses and I lost what little I had.  I may have played 2 or 3 times during the past 5 years and still had a good time even though my game was terrible. I had given my clubs away a long time ago and the few times I've played since were on borrowed clubs.  I was recently volunteered to play during a fundraiser tournament at Myrtlewood Golf Club in Myrtle Beach SC.  I was honestly glad to have the chance to get back into the game.  This was a fundraiser and I didnt feel any pressure to be great.  I borrowed a set of clubs from a co-worker (The guy who volunteered me to play) and spent a few evenings prior to the trip practicing.  During the night before the tournament I practiced in my backyard with plastic golf balls and felt pretty good about things.

Upon arriving to the golf course we had a good BBQ meal and then set out with three other guys to take a swing at the game.  I learned that one other player has been playing for a very short amount of time and I wasnt worried about being the only person take an occasional miss at the ball.  I had some good hits but still not as consistent as I'd like to be.   By then end of the day, I felt that I had played a decent game considering that I had not played in a long time.  We had a great time and the course was beautiful.  We had wonderful weather and I didn't sacrifice too many golf balls to the many water hazards throughout the course.    Somehow a cart died on the final hole and we had to push it back to the clubhouse. This was a huge laugh to top off the day.  The night before was the 1:00 am Daytona 500 Nascar race and we decided that bump drafting the cart around the course was appropriate. I was happy that our team finished with a score of 79. 

I am determined to keep the game of golf scheduled and add a new set of clubs to my list of toys this year.  Until then, my friend is letting me keep his old clubs so I can get some frequent practice.





No comments:

Post a Comment