Sunday, February 5, 2012

Hula hoop moments.

I like to enjoy myself and have fun when possible.  The recent Arts Richmond Fire and Ice Gala gave me a chance to follow many other people to take a hula hoop for a spin.  It's not everyday that I get a chance to act like a kid and I was able to keep the large circular tube floating around my waist long enough to be satisfied with the attempt.  Did I care that someone else had my camera aimed at me?  No.  It was too much fun to worry about anything else taking place around me.

During a little research about the 1950's fad I found a scientific study titled:  "Kinetics of hula hooping: An inverse dynamics analysis"   This paper involved a biomechanical analysis of lower limb joint coordination during hula hooping. A lower extremity inverse dynamics model that incorporated kinematic input and force platform data was developed to compute the angular velocities, moments about and powers produced at the lower extremity joints. The abductor moments and powers were discovered to be paramount in maintaining hoop oscillations, as demonstrated consistently in the three study participants. However, hula hooping was demonstrated to be variable in terms of the involvement of flexor and extensor moments and powers of the ankle, knee and hip joints, resulting in the adoption of varying strategies by each of the three participants.

After reading the above and stopping myself from continuing the 14 page study, I realized that if I had concentrated on the scientific methods instead of just having fun, the experience would not have been as memorable.  The purpose was to full fill my desire to laugh for a few moments.  It was another chance to enjoy life and take advantage of an opportunity.

I saw proof during church today that anytime is a good time to enjoy life.  A little girl on the pew in front of me was in her own world.  First she was determined to hold a hymnal and sing even though she didn't know the words. She was smiling, singing her own tune and enjoying it.   Later during the service she accidentally burped, but kept her laughs to a minimum.  Next, she decided that she needed to produce a few fake sneezes.  Very cute in my opinion and not distracting from the sermon in process.  Finally she knew when it was time to prepare to leave as she opened her mothers purse to plunder just before throwing it over her shoulder as it was time to walk out. 

After watching the little girl play and be herself with dozens of people around, I realized that I had the opportunity to do the same thing with the hula hoop.  I hope to have many more hula hoop moments in the future.





No comments:

Post a Comment