Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Nashville like I have never seen it.

I have been to Nashville many times and enjoy the many restaurants more than anything.   The drive to the nearest airport is longer than the flight to Music City.  I usually stay in the downtown area within walking distance of the main attractions.  This most recent trip sent me to the Gaylord Opryland Resort and Convention center.  I had heard of the place and knew that it had suffered some serious flooding a few years ago.  I had no idea how large the facility was.  It's a city in itself.  The area covers over 100 acres and there are rumors that a water and them park may be built in the near future.

The Opryland hotel is a short distance from the General Jackson Showboat landing.   Our agenda had reservations for dinner and a concert on the showboat.  The concert was a history of country music with some talented artists performing many covers.  The food and drinks were very satisfying during the cruise.

The visit to Opryland was great, but I still had the urge to take a trip downtown to see familiar sites including Demos Steak House and Wildhorse Saloon.

Demo's was also great as usual and my next trip to Nashville will require another meal from the restaurant.  This most recent trip was the first time that I did not have to wait for a table.  I am not sure if that was a sign of the poor economy or just good timing.  As we left the line had formed, so I am guessing that we timed the visit perfectly.

The Wildhorse Saloon was the next stop during the downtown walk.  Wildhorse also has delicious food and great drinks!  I was happy to see that a band was on schedule to perform just after we arrived.  I was shocked when the band was announced.  McKenzies Mill was due to hit the stage at anytime . The guys just happened to be from a town 20 minutes north of Rockingham.  The band put on a great show and I was happy to provide them with photos from the concert.

Several years ago I made my one and only television appearance at the Wild Horse Saloon. The Wildhorse Saloon Dance Show, hosted by Katie Hause was in production the first time I visited Nashville. During a break the host asked me if I wanted to be on television. Of course, I said yes, and she instructed me to think of my favorite country song. Well, I didn't have a favorite country song or any country song that I could think of on the spot. When the time came for me to answer in front of the camera I said "Don't Rock the Jukebox!" If I had known 30 seconds sooner that she was going to ask me to sing the song, I would have declined to offer. It was too late and all I knew to sing was the title of the song. After I belted out "Don't Rock the Jukebox!" I just stood there and looked at the lovely host. She asked me if that was it and I couldn't do anything but shake my head and say "Yes." I still go a free pair of hiking boots out of the 15 second gig!

The stay at Opryland was very nice and I would love to visit again soon.


 





No comments:

Post a Comment